Thursday, January 6, 2011

Last Leg


Day 1

Camped at a reststop somewhere in the W. Virginia mountains last night.  The cats and I will be returning to the farm, aptly named Sojourner's Rest, this afternoon.  Thank you all so much for traveling with me. I have enjoyed having your company, suggestions, encouragement and well wishes.
It seems fitting to finish this journal as it began - with a quote from John Steinbeck’s Travels with Charley, in Search of America:



By Week 2

When I was a very young age and the urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch.  When years described me as mature, the remedy prescribed was middle age.  In middle age, I was assured that greater age would calm my fever and now that I am fifty-eight perhaps senility will do the job. Nothing has worked… In other words, I don’t improve; in further words, once a bum always a bum. I fear the disease is incurable.
 

1 comment:

  1. welcome home, Pat and Happy New Year
    I've always wanted to do what you have just done - had hoped to do it when I left the Watershed but life interfered!!
    Nancy K.

    ReplyDelete